Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I have been toying around with teaching my gelding Doug to drive for a while. I joked all winter that we have these horses lounging about in the snow so we should put them to work moving the feed, hay, whatever else needs to go to the barn. I feel like I need to do something new with him anyway and since you will never catch me showing this seems good!

I found this
http://www.ehow.com/how_2067855_teach-horse-long-line.html
Seems to simplify it to stupid like I need.

We are looking out for a new trainer as the kid that we worked with last summer moved and trailering them is not an option at the moment. Hoping I can find someone who knows a bit about it. I figure I can at least get the ground driving down on my own. I bought the surcingle and caveson at equine affaire last week.

I was going to go to a continuing education thing at work tonight but seeing as I was stuck there last night and work tomorrow am at 7, I think I will stick around here. Doug is so unsuspecting out in the pasture. Only problem is that the round pen was my winter sacrifice area and it looks horrible. Might have to end up working him in the pasture.

Had a problem with the baby the last few days bolting while I am leading him. Right now I am able to keep him within our fenced area around the barns and pastures but that will not last forever. So now I am leading him with the lunge line and just reeling him back in. I think I have been lucky so far he has been so well behaved,but now I am paying for it.

Charging the camera now so pics later.

No comments:

Post a Comment